Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the deal...............

User Info Menu

Default What is the deal...............

.........with drummers that play with their hi-hats at a very high setting?? I tried out for a band last night and I had to play on some other guy's kit. I found myself reaching for the hi-hats and my arms were dying by the end of the practice. Come to think of it, the crash cymbals were towering over me so he must've been tall. I know personal preference and height factors in but I've know other people who set their hi-hats just as high as the one I played on and they were about my height/throne was set to same height. Does this have some sort of advantage I don't know about. I keep my hi-hat a couple of inches above my snare.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What is the deal...............

I have my high hat like that most of the time, It's so I can have it open and not worry about it dropping more on me. And I like having it that high. It's just me!

User Info Menu

i guess i set it up the lazy way. haha.

User Info Menu

I'm also 6'1 so that could be it. I just dont like my high hat low lol

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwYqA3GFA0

This is what you can do with a hi-hat when set at a proper heighth.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

thanks for sharing the vid frank i loved it.

I'm 5'6 and i got my hi-hat almost a feet above my snare. I just love it high
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

He stole some of my material....LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

I personally blame Travis Barker - he's the first recognisable drummer noticed doing - next thing all these young wanna-be's do the same thing. Perosnally I hate it. I'm not tall, or short - i'm just under 6ft. I have my hi-hat dropped nice and low - the less distance between snare and hi-hat (or between any par tof your kit for that matter) the easier you can move quickly between them. Plus it hurts your shoulder to always have to hold your arm in an unnatural position while playing. If you aks me your just adding to the difficulty in an unnecassary manner.

BTW - i personally blame Travis Barker for just about everything I don't like in drumming.....but that's me
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I don't think there is much Steve Smith couldn't do with a hi-hat
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8syiOwwVyY

I used Steve Smith because so many would recognize him. Now, here is the Original...
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    I personally blame Travis Barker - he's the first recognisable drummer noticed doing - next thing all these young wanna-be's do the same thing. Perosnally I hate it. I'm not tall, or short - i'm just under 6ft. I have my hi-hat dropped nice and low - the less distance between snare and hi-hat (or between any par tof your kit for that matter) the easier you can move quickly between them. Plus it hurts your shoulder to always have to hold your arm in an unnatural position while playing. If you aks me your just adding to the difficulty in an unnecassary manner.

BTW - i personally blame Travis Barker for just about everything I don't like in drumming.....but that's me
    I hate Travis Barker, I just like having my hi hat there, I don't have mine all the way up though.

But I agree with the whole Travis thing. I can't stand him! And the people who think he's the best drummer ever are just stupid and need to listen to some Buddy Rich or John Bonham!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    I hate Travis Barker, I just like having my hi hat there, I don't have mine all the way up though.

But I agree with the whole Travis thing. I can't stand him! And the people who think he's the best drummer ever are just stupid and need to listen to some Buddy Rich or John Bonham!!
    hmmm, Yeh Travis is overrated [imho] but he is a fellow drummer and so deserves respect for all of the time and dedication he has contributed, plus you cannot deny how many young guy's he as got into our beloved art.
    Im sure if you met him in person you would come away with a differetn opinion fedr, respectfully rat.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

My hi hats are practically at the same level as my snare, because I play left handed with my drumset set up right handed. (don't cross my arms at all)

User Info Menu

Every time one of my son's friends brings up Barker as a good drummer, he goes on youtube and loads up vids of Buddy Rich, Poppa Joe Jones, Philly Joe Jones, and sits back and laughs.

Travis Barker is fast and loud, and from everything I've seen that's about it. For some reason he has a lot of name recognition. There are much better younger drummers, even in punk. Chad Wackerman's younger brother Brooks, who played for The Vapors and now plays for Bad Religion is much better than Barker. BTW, he was the guy who was Colonel Sanders on drums in The Pick of Destiny (love the D), and on their tour.

We saw him live in NYC playing for Bad Religion, and he does some cool stuff.

Mike Portnoy just completely outshines him as well. (No big shock there)
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Back to hi-hats, I don't get it either. I would say my hats are about 8 inches above my snare. Can't be size, I'm 6'3" and 245. Seems it's a style thing to me. It does make it easier to play that semi-open sound because you are hitting the hats on edge, rather than close to parallel. Who knows?
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwYqA3GFA0

This is what you can do with a hi-hat when set at a proper heighth.
    you know what, screw the hi hats you just need a pedal some sticks and a practice pad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhGgK...eature=related
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfool5931 View Post
    .........with drummers that play with their hi-hats at a very high setting?? I tried out for a band last night and I had to play on some other guy's kit. I found myself reaching for the hi-hats and my arms were dying by the end of the practice. Come to think of it, the crash cymbals were towering over me so he must've been tall. I know personal preference and height factors in but I've know other people who set their hi-hats just as high as the one I played on and they were about my height/throne was set to same height. Does this have some sort of advantage I don't know about. I keep my hi-hat a couple of inches above my snare.
    yeah it happens, i have a friend who puts his snare like 4 inches below his legs and has his double pedal ridiculously tight. some people just find interesting ways to make themselves more comfortable.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

i think sometimes people also dont' know any better - they just set it up or copy someone (like barkers) setup without knowing how to adjust things - then they get used to it and don't even think about it.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

its easy for travis barker because he goes through 2 sticks a song. i'm sure if he was as broke as the rest of us he'd drop them down

think of cymbal height as a line graph. the higher up the cymbals go, the cooler they look, but the worse the technique is. if your a millionaire drummer you can chew up your sticks on your hi hat and dent the hell out of your cymbals, because you get them by the boxload.

User Info Menu

I honestly can't say that I understand the hats being so high either.....perhaps it all started because someone out there took the name "Hi-hat" just way too literally.....?

Personally, what is comfortable for me......I have my hats set as low as my stand will allow.....which put thems just barely above my snare.....
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

I've seen Dave Grohl use a really high hi hat stand, but that's only because he's MASSIVE. I like having it a couple of inches just above my snare. Otherwise you can't do anything with it.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I thought the whole really high cymbals/hi-hats came from the 1980s, or was at least made popular then... mostly for show.

I find it really uncomfortable. I keep mine as low as possible. For rock/alternative I usually have them no more than like 5 inches above the snare, and right up next to the snare. For heavier music I put them a little higher, but only to get more power out of the snare hits (playing cross stick). I could keep them lower and adjust the timing of my arms, but it creates a drastically uneven volume in the hi-hat hits. I don't lift the hi-hats a ton though. Just enough to get the volume/power I want from my snare.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    hmmm, Yeh Travis is overrated [imho] but he is a fellow drummer and so deserves respect for all of the time and dedication he has contributed, plus you cannot deny how many young guy's he as got into our beloved art.
    Im sure if you met him in person you would come away with a differetn opinion fedr, respectfully rat.
    Agreed rat, Travis is overrated but still a very good drummer.

User Info Menu

Thinking back to when I played punk most of the time, my hats were a good 12 inches above my snare - it just worked for me that way though I am not very tall! nowadays I thing they are about 8-9 inches and that works just fine. I certainly do not break as many sticks nowadays!!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I've seen Dave Grohl use a really high hi hat stand, but that's only because he's MASSIVE. I like having it a couple of inches just above my snare. Otherwise you can't do anything with it.
    I forgot he had them like that in Nirvana. I think the idea is that it's easier to get a big sound from them when they are semi-closed because you are hitting them on edge. Kind of like hitting a crash.

Grohl is "MASSIVE"? He looks about 6' tall in pics to me. I'm 6'3" and I wouldn't use massive to describe me (and I have a good 60 pounds on him as well).
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K