Thread: Ring

User Info Menu

Default Ring

Hey guys I have a question about my toms. I'm curious on how to take the ring out of them..I don't like it but I'm not really sure how to take it out. Well other than buying new heads is there a way I can take it out. Do I just tighten them? or is there another way?
    “One of my few shortcomings is that I can't predict the future.”-Lars Ulrich.
    “If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.”-Neil Pert.
    “You don't get something for nothing
    You can't have freedom for free
    You won't get wise
    With the sleep still in your eyes
    No matter what your dreams might be”-Neil Pert.

TERROROUS TENORS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ring

remO rings or moongel
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

Moongel?
    “One of my few shortcomings is that I can't predict the future.”-Lars Ulrich.
    “If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.”-Neil Pert.
    “You don't get something for nothing
    You can't have freedom for free
    You won't get wise
    With the sleep still in your eyes
    No matter what your dreams might be”-Neil Pert.

TERROROUS TENORS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kadwell_13 View Post
    Moongel?
    you can find it at most music stores. Its like a puddy that you put on the head of the drum.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

You could also use duct tape on your heads
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

As Beetbox said. You can buy special dampening rings sized for each drum - RemO's and Evams E-Ring's are the most popular, along with Aqurian Studio Rings which are a bit thicker than the Remo and Evans. I haven't had any experience with the RemO's, but I have E-Ring's on my 12", 13", 16" toms and my 14" Snare. I have an Aquarian Studio Rng on my 10" tom which tends to work better at cutting off all the unwanted frequencies of that particular drum, as it is slightly thicker. I have no experience with Moongel either. Hope I provided some useful/useless information (delete as appropriate)
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

Larrysperf Guest

Moon gel and Drum bum sells it and price is good so get it from Drum bum they host drum chat. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Bah I don't use moongel on toms. Anyways, don't buy E Rings for toms. Buy RemOs or Aquarian Studio Rings. The Ering is great for the snare, but I don't like them on toms.

I would tell you this, don't muffle up the toms. Watch the Bob Gatzen video I attached on tom tuning and give it a shot. You are never going to get that studio sound out of your set when it isn't miked, despite what people say. You will get used to a nice resonating sound. This is coming from an alt-rock player who listens to drummers who EQ their stuff so much its insane.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU[/ame]
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

Larrysperf Guest

well I dont use them other than on metel snare I like my toms to sing He want a simple yet good solution to tom ring and moon gel can sit there and in under a sec gone Nuff said

User Info Menu

i saw that bob gatzen guy before.. hes a tuning wizard!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    i saw that bob gatzen guy before.. hes a tuning wizard!
    Not to mention a great drummer Nuff Said