Thread: Beginner Drummer Help

User Info Menu

Default Beginner Drummer Help

Hii greetings from India. I have started playing drums 2 to 3months back. I am stuck at making a proper practice routine for me. As of now I can take out 2hrs for my practice. What I do is I keep 1hour for my hand exercises that is stick control, accents from the syncopation book, Tommy igoe's warmup etc. And 1hour for my drumset practice. Around the drums, hand foot coordination. I am also way inning for the Dom Famularo Weaker Side Book to arrive.

What I want to know is am I going in the right direction? What advice or suggestions you would give to a complete beginner like me? And what else should I incorporate in my practice routine? Or any modifications I should do in my routine ?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beginner Drummer Help

100% the right direction! in fact, I wouldn't get more books, because here are somethings you can do with just stick control:

1. Instead of doing the sticking with your hands, do 1/4s or 1/8s with your right hand on the high hat/ride, and do right foot and left hand. this won't produce beats you would normally play, but it will improve your hand/foot coordination. You can also play the left foot on 2 and 4 for an even better practice.

2. Do the sticking as written, but instead of playing it like this (for example) RLRL, play it like this: RF RH RF LH RF LH RF RH RF LH.... Then, do it with your left foot instead of right foot, then do it with left foot, then right foot (so LF RH RF LH...). This exercise dramatically improved my timing and overall ability.

of course, always with a metronome!

good luck, and welcome to drum chat!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Welcome from New Hampshire,

The best thing you can and should do is Get an instructor and take some lessons for at least a few months. Not sure how the drum scene is in India.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Spend some time playing along with songs on the radio or recordings. 3 months is not much time, it may take two years to sound OK.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Welcome from New Hampshire,

The best thing you can and should do is Get an instructor and take some lessons for at least a few months. Not sure how the drum scene is in India.
    i agree, that is of course if there are some teachers where you live, also have fun with it, play alone to some simple songs so you know your at least playing the drums rather than just stick to rudiments and stuff.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

This is new to me, sudipto,..didn't realize Indian music used "Western" drums much less 4/4 time.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat sudipto. My suggestion would be all of the above and throw in a "jam" session with some other musicians. Learn to improvise on the "fly". This will help develop dynamic changes in your rhythm to create a "river" in which others can navigate over.

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Glad you all stopped by.

@jgziegler Thank you so much for the tips. Will surely be working on it.

@MDK yeah i am looking for an instructor in my area, finding good teacher is tough here and right now i am not even in a situation to afford on-line tuition. so currently all i have is youtube, free pdfs/e-books and drum forums to guide me through. Lucky enough to get few books with my pocket money. Hopefully will find a good tutor. and the drum scene in India is awesome. Loads of good players but people are not willing to share all they know thats the sad part here.

@8beat yeah thanks for the suggestions man. i know i have a mountain to climb and right now taking baby steps towards it. I tend to listen to songs and identify the beats bt i somewhere get lost in their playing, may be coz they are very advanced in playing and it will take time for me to easily understand what they are playing.

@markthechuck yeah true rudiments tend to be boring at times. but when i try to play the rudiments in the drumset they become too challenging and thats what makes it exciting again.

@slinglander yeah we do that now. thats what makes it more interesting mixing western and Indian music.

@late8 thank you but sadly people here dont have much time for players like to me to jam with. they dont want to waste their time jamming with an amateur.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone of you can tell me how to study the Ted Reed Syncopation Book. Currently I am studying it to improve my accents along with the Stick Control as I found the Accents and Rebound book to be a bit advanced for me. Is there any other way I can incorporate the book into my practice routine other than playing accents ?
    Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Anyone to give some inputs on this? Waiting for some guiding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sudipto1990l View Post
    Anyone to give some inputs on this? Waiting for some guiding.
    Here you go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Here you go!

Awesome. Thank you so much. Just overlook the idea of using then as fills. Thank you again for the link.