Thread: So Many Sounds, So Little Time!

User Info Menu

Default So Many Sounds, So Little Time!

Hey guys, I'm trying to find a good hi-hat sound to go with my cymbal set up. I have an eclectic taste in sounds, so I have Zildjian A Custom crashes (16" and 18" fast crash), and a Sabian 20" AAX Studio ride that I use most of the time, although I could swap it out for the 20" Zildjian A Medium ride that I have (it's just too loud for my living room). I have thought that the hi-hat sound should be somewhat in tune with the ride sound, so I've been hitting every hi-hat set up that I can when I go to music stores. I'm really finding this to be a much harder match that I thought it would be. Recently, someone told me that mixing the upper and lower cymbals on the hi-hat might help me find my sound. Now I'm really confused. Should my ride and hi-hats be somewhat paired sonically, or am I just being too crazy here?

Could you offer thoughts that help me find my way here? Thanks.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: So Many Sounds, So Little Time!

Have you checked out the Paiste Crystal Hats? They have an incredibly light and defined tone while open and ultra responsive feel. I would get them if I weren't so satisfied with the Dark Crisp hats. Those and Sabian's HHX would probably be your next best bet.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

You should realy try the K Custom Hybrids...the 13" have a great sound to them. Also, I have paired my 14" A Custom top with a 14" Mastersound bottom for a KILLER combination!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Pb try the Paiste Signature sound edge
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hey guys, I'm trying to find a good hi-hat sound to go with my cymbal set up. I have an eclectic taste in sounds, so I have Zildjian A Custom crashes (16" and 18" fast crash), and a Sabian 20" AAX Studio ride that I use most of the time, although I could swap it out for the 20" Zildjian A Medium ride that I have (it's just too loud for my living room). I have thought that the hi-hat sound should be somewhat in tune with the ride sound, so I've been hitting every hi-hat set up that I can when I go to music stores. I'm really finding this to be a much harder match that I thought it would be. Recently, someone told me that mixing the upper and lower cymbals on the hi-hat might help me find my sound. Now I'm really confused. Should my ride and hi-hats be somewhat paired sonically, or am I just being too crazy here?

this is true volume and pitch, the closer the better

try some thin-medium 14" unless you like 13" medium

sacrifice playing surface for tight click and a snappy open sound with 13"

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    You should realy try the K Custom Hybrids...the 13" have a great sound to them. Also, I have paired my 14" A Custom top with a 14" Mastersound bottom for a KILLER combination!
    you have to be a ninja to own a set of thous zildjian hats red

User Info Menu

well. it depends on how anal you wanna get. some people really take the sonically matched part very seriously. i don't. i'd just say, get what you think sounds good and don't worry too much about the rest of your cymbals. but that's me and i could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Bob...so much of what you want is based on what you want the cymbals to do for you. When I played Rock and R & B many, many years ago, I used 15" heavy Avedjis cymbals. Now, that I play primarily Big Band Jazz, I play 14" Istanbul hand made cymbals...Mel Lewis signature. These are very close to the old "K" cymbals...dark and very nice. If I were to play small jazz all the time, I would use 13" cymbals...again, the smaller size works well with regards to volume and sound. In either case, the bottom cymbal should be the heavier of the two to make that tight "Chick" sound that you have to have. My band relies on hearing my hi - hat. I can give then the solid "2 & 4" back beat and I can also ad - lib the hi - hat without causing a lot of extraneous noise. You might want to "Google" cymbals and take a look at other alternatives to purchase cymbals. Good Luck and..."We'll say a little prayer for you..."
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Zildjian Avedis 14" new beat hi hats...PB try them if you can... excelent hi hats that i think they fit very nice with the A custom crashes of yours
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Pb try the Paiste Signature sound edge

These are really beautiful sounding cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saturn View Post
    Zildjian Avedis 14" new beat hi hats...PB try them if you can... excelent hi hats that i think they fit very nice with the A custom crashes of yours
    Agreed! If you're playing A Custom, and you think you'll stick along the A custom line, I'd reccommend the New Beat Hi Hats, Bob. These hi hats are great, they match sonically with the A Customs, the most versatile set of hats I've ever played. Very crisp, light, responsive, then with agressive strokes, they cut through anything.

I like them so much, I bought a set with my Gretsch, got hooked on them, and when I got my new Saturn kit, I purchased a brand new set. The new set is even better made than my old set, which is about 6-7 years old.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Zildjian Mastersound A custom 13 " all round great hats

User Info Menu

my favorite hats are Zildjian new beat A's, and Tosoco's, for 55 bucks you should buy some toscos, i have a Zildjian A medium 20" too and they sound great together
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

HOLA como estas PASTOR_BOB Mi amigo Creative ARTISTIC OPEN MINDEDDRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) I have USED PLAYED (PERFORM)
    with MANY MANY HI-HATS (SOCK) CYMBALS * I also Love My OLD ZILJIAN
    14" *AND alot of different CYMBAL COMPANYS ARTISTRY within THE *
    Very ANCIENT ART form of CREATING AND MAKEING THESE VERY FINE *JEWELS* LIKE FINE JEWELS LIKE DIAMONDS RUBYS EMERALS * THEIR
    is ALOT a very ROJO CALINETE CYMBAL-SMITHS ARTIST out their * RIGHT NOW I just got My new 14" MASTERWORK (LEGENDS) AND for My OWN DISTINCT EXXTREMMMMXXX OUT of THE BOX SPIRITUAL ARTISTRY THESE ARE BEYOND ROJO CALIENTE * AS I always STATE what ever works for the creative ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST is all GREAT within their Own UNIQUE STYLE (ARTISTRY) within their JOURNEYS * TRY them ALL OUT AMIGO *You will KNOW WHAT You WANT when you really REALLY FEEL AND HEAR the amazing SOUNDS TONES SHINE LIGHT DARK within THE LIGHT **
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

there's no point telling you what hats to get or what our fav are. i've seen drummers with a custom crashes and k hats. or aax hats and hhx crashes...etc.