Thread: die cast or s rims ?

User Info Menu

Default die cast or s rims ?

i'm gunna order some acrylic shells to make my own kit. the guy at the music store was telling me about the s rims. they are suppost to protect the bearing edges of the drum, with acrylic this could be very important. i like the die cast rims, they seem to be very strong. kind of like to hear the pros and cons of both. thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: die cast or s rims ?

http://www.bigbangdist.com/shoop.htm (for all of those that dont know what s hoops are)

they sound like they would be good and that artist roster is impressive

but i do know die cast rims are extremely strong and durable which is great
    Last edited by coke_can; 03-21-2008 at 11:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Die cast rims are very strong and durable. Made to withstand the pressure when tuning drum to higher pitch. Please be careful, I've seen drums shells and bearing edges crush under the pressure.

User Info Menu

I don't know why you would need to protect the bearing edge with the hoop. I don't think that I have ever been out of position enough with drum sticks to damage a bearing edge. You would practically have to hit the drum against the rim to hit a bearing edge. the S hoops are the reproduction of the Slingerland stick saver series hoops. they were designed to save tearing up your sticks because the edges are turned in instead of out.

User Info Menu

Vintage drums with a little better than 30 degree bearing edge and thinner ply shell often split under die cast hoops. I have a Buddy Rich slingerland snare 3-ply maple and mahoganoy, I think, with the stick saver hoops. These are not die cast because of this drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Vintage drums with a little better than 30 degree bearing edge and thinner ply shell often split under die cast hoops. I have a Buddy Rich slingerland snare 3-ply maple and mahoganoy, I think, with the stick saver hoops. These are not die cast because of this drum.
    I haven't thought of that, but that would make since on the old thin shell drums. But didn't Gretch have die cast hoops on thier old round badge kits?

User Info Menu

Gretsch has die cast hoops on all their USA made drums...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Gretsch has die cast hoops on all their USA made drums...

all the best...
    Thanks Kay-gee, I thought so!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I haven't thought of that, but that would make since on the old thin shell drums. But didn't Gretch have die cast hoops on thier old round badge kits?
    Yes, they did and they were all USA made maple shells. That's what made for that Great Gretsch Sound!!

User Info Menu

I would say that the Chinese have listened to Gretsch in the making of the Catalina series, because they have really captured the sound. The only downside is that Gretsch can't produce any add on drums for the series, because the consistency of the finishes isn't good enough. Getsch realized that they couldn't guarantee the add-ons would match the original drums. All in all, though, it's a great series of drums, with that great Gretsch sound!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB, that is true of any drum companies lacquer. Candy apple lacquer (see through so the grain will show) will darken the more coats that you put on it. So the finish that is applied to one kit and then to another, may be a shade or two lighter or darker. I,m sure that Gretsch didn't want a lot of add-ons returned because they didn't match. DW collectors will match the shade of an add-on by having you send in one of your drums and they will match the add-on to that. You don't have that luxury with the Catalina's being produced in Asia.

User Info Menu

One thing I should mention and I mention it by experience, is if a die cast hoop for any reason is knocked out of round, it cannot be corrected. For this reason, I am considering going to a 2.2mm triple flange hoop for the top of my Gretsch 8x14 snare.

all the best...

User Info Menu

thanks cc, ive seen that site before but couldnt remember the name. i have a 7 yr old that likes to beat on the drums so the bearing edge protection would come in handy. i'd be a little worried that the die cast may be to heavy for an acrylic shell, plus the s hoops are cheaper. thanks for everyones opinions.