Thread: Quieting the drums

User Info Menu

Default Quieting the drums

And yet another question from me.

I had this great urge to play my drums last night. I didn't because I would have woken up the whole neighborhood and made my wife very angry. I was able to find some nylon drum patches f to place over the drum heads and that helped to significantly reduce the drum sound. The problem is the cymbals. DO they make something similar for the cymbals? If not any suggestions on how to reduce the sound so I can play without bothering others?
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quieting the drums

1. Buy an e-kit
    2. Buy headphones
    3. Play until your hearts content

That's my only suggestion, sorry, I can't help with the acoustic stuff......

User Info Menu

Or try these

User Info Menu

I used to use some old, worn-out towels at times to dampen my cymbals. Just drape them completely over the cymbals and play on the surface of the towel.
    Completely changes the feel, but that's OK; it's kinda like warming up on pillows, then you can tear it up when you actually play drums that rebound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Or try these

This is what I was looking for, but someone mentioned towels below and since that would be a cheaper option, maybe that's the route to go. I'm going to give the towels a try and see if that helps. The problem with an e-set is space. I don't have the space in room I'm in to house two drums sets. I would love to have an e-set but the room I'm using houses the acoustic drums et, two computers, two keyboards, a mixer, recorder, monitors ect.

BTW - Thanks for the replies!

User Info Menu

You could always quit work , this way you got all day to play the drums with no one around to hollar at you..............

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    You could always quit work , this way you got all day to play the drums with no one around to hollar at you..............
    Yeah, then you can get a month or two of intense woodshed practice sessions in...
    ...before you get evicted.

User Info Menu

I have a set at home... HQ Sound drum pads, I think. They also come with damper pads for crash cymbal, ride cymbal and hi-hat as well. I'll double check the name when I get home tonight. My set comes with 14' snare pad, 12", 13" and 16' to pads and a 20" for my bass drum. I'll report back the name.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I have a set at home... HQ Sound drum pads, I think. They also come with damper pads for crash cymbal, ride cymbal and hi-hat as well. I'll double check the name when I get home tonight. My set comes with 14' snare pad, 12", 13" and 16' to pads and a 20" for my bass drum. I'll report back the name.
    Thanks I'd appreciate the name as I may want to go this route.

User Info Menu

On planet Silver Dragon Sound, this is the solution.

User Info Menu

I have Sound Off silencers. They work real well, but the bass drum is a little flimsy and wants to fall down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    On planet Silver Dragon Sound, this is the solution.
    Im only kiddin , I built my house in the middle of the woods on a couple acres , have no neighbors and Mrs GF is making me build a room in the basement with carpet on the floor and walls so I dont quit work .

You have some good advise on products out there people are telling you about . They all sound pretty good for what you are looking for . Good luck .

User Info Menu

I work from home... It's the best. I can just whack em whenever I feel the urge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    I work from home... It's the best. I can just whack em whenever I feel the urge.
    Sounds like a good job to me. I would sleep in for starters. Getting up at 5am is not the best way to start the day.

User Info Menu

#9 Today, 02:41 PM
    silverdragonsound
    Junior Member (Newbie) Join Date: Mar 2008

Re: Quieting the drums

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fiacovaz

Thanks I'd appreciate the name as I may want to go this route.

They are HQ Soundoff...should work for what you have in mind.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting that fiacovaz. I'm looking into this possibility.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, newbie to the forum here, but not to drumming. Actually, I'm an old fart.

But I also use HQ Sound Off pads cuz I live in a condo, and they're great! and inexpensive too....for my 6pc kit I think I paid around $50 including two cymbal pads and the hi hat set.

If I've figured this out right, here's a couple pics of my practice kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit! (nice TV... nice tree... nice carpet! )

User Info Menu

Thanks drummer! M Birch kit - old tv, carpet, fake tree....

User Info Menu

You should see his other kit.
    Signature here