Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keith Moon

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keith Moon

There's a video somewhere with Roger playing some tracks and pointing out how he played off the vocals so well and I kinda agree with the notion that he added something to the songs in a really unique way.

Now with that said the studio of course can work miracles but there is some proof of him playing live and doing a pretty good job. Some are an early video of I Can't Explain (the b/w one), the Woodstock footage and the Who Are You studio recording video. But with that said the last live on stage video of him that's on the end of the movie The Kid's Are Alright you can see he was struggling. He was tired and it's kinda sad to watch.

I really enjoyed Kenny's contribution too. It still sounded like The Who with Kenny.

this is a good book. might be the best one.

Last edited by slinky; 05-09-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    First of all, I think this should not be about an individuals personal beliefs toward an artists personal life, habbits, antics or issues. I think it's irrelivant. If that is how you wish to base your opinion, that's your prerogative. I believe it should be about the artists musical talent. What they did with their personal lives are their issue. (unless they're polititians or renting from me...lol)

IMO, Keith Moon had something special that was unique with his playing ability and style.

When you are in the spotlight, your personal life spills over in to public eye, especially when you are a little off the wall to start with.

There was nothing special or unique about his playing ability or style except for the fact that he took "over-playing" to a new level.

Watching him was like watching a NASCAR race. You know the wreck is coming, you just don't know when or how bad it will be.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 05-09-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: --

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 02-24-2018 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post

It's a great song.............................................. ..........?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    When you are in the spotlight, your personal life spills over in to public eye, especially when you are a little off the wall to start with.

There was nothing special or unique about his playing ability or style except for the fact that he took "over-playing" to a new level.

Watching him was like watching a NASCAR race. You know the wreck is coming, you just don't know when or how bad it will be.
    Rick...you have your opinion...I have mine. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I don't care what he did on a personal level..as a "musician", he was horrible.

User Info Menu

It was said that he used the same tuning on his mounted toms so he could hear da sound he wanted regardless of where he "flailed his arms in his manic manner,,,,"....of course da "fishbowl drumkit he played on da smothers brothers show....water in the drums,,,,goldfish swimming inside......
    Got the who in trouble wif da spca because they claimed the fish got concussions from water vibrations from the drumstrikes would bounce the
    fish off the shells of the clear plexiglass drums...moon da loon indeed...

When asked about his drumming techniques
    and approach to "rudimental" drumming
    or a pattern he played in a particular song...
    He said:
    " i have no idea what **** i play,,,,i just play!!!!!!"

we should all maybe think abit that abit more
    brother jeff said " its all about da groove"

he was also jason bonham's godfather!!!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Eh. I think he's a bad musician and just a dumb guy in general. Not a fan.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

How is he a bad musician? We're talking about an icon in drumming, and one of the most cited influences of current and future generations. Along with Bonham, Peart, Rudd, etc.. If you don't like Moon, it's like saying you don't like rock music. These are the guys who wrote the drum parts your kids and friends are drumming along to, how can you be a bad musician with that kind of impact? Geez, might as well start on Mitch Mitchell or Jon Densmore now.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Are you kidding me! Moon in the same sentence as Bonham!...plz And to put him with NP...My kids will steer clear of bad, no, horrible technique,timing,and all around crap that he "played"...I'm just waiting on 1 example of his outstanding playing?!

An Icon!!!!....A funny story maybe, but far from an Icon...and who cited him as 1 of the greats?...Guy was a clown with the talent of a wet fart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    It was said that he used the same tuning on his mounted toms so he could hear da sound he wanted regardless of where he "flailed his arms in his manic manner,,,,"....of course da "fishbowl drumkit he played on da smothers brothers show....water in the drums,,,,goldfish swimming inside......
    Got the who in trouble wif da spca because they claimed the fish got concussions from water vibrations from the drumstrikes would bounce the
    fish off the shells of the clear plexiglass drums...moon da loon indeed...

When asked about his drumming techniques
    and approach to "rudimental" drumming
    or a pattern he played in a particular song...
    He said:
    " i have no idea what **** i play,,,,i just play!!!!!!"

we should all maybe think abit that abit more
    brother jeff said " its all about da groove"

he was also jason bonham's godfather!!!!!!!!
    He sure did flail his arms and probably played on the fly with his technique...doesn't matter. Whatever he did was unique and different than everyone else with his style. As far as the goldfish...I believe the goldfish were in one floor tom correct? I do not think he ever hit that floor tom though and it was just a gimmick....I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Are you kidding me! Moon in the same sentence as Bonham!...plz And to put him with NP...My kids will steer clear of bad, no, horrible technique,timing,and all around crap that he "played"...I'm just waiting on 1 example of his outstanding playing?!

An Icon!!!!....A funny story maybe, but far from an Icon...and who cited him as 1 of the greats?...Guy was a clown with the talent of a wet fart.
    Jason Bonham's godfather, Keith Moon. ....same sentence! Thanks PHROGGE!
    His playing was outstanding because he was different and unique reguardless of technique. I don't know who cited him as one of the greats but I'm pretty sure it was all of the fans!
    In my original post...Moon's legacy, as a member of The Who, as a solo artist, and as an eccentric personality, continues to redeem awards and praise, including a Rolling Stone readers' pick placing him in second place of the magazine's "best drummers of all time" in 2011, nearly 35 years after his death.

Just my opinion of course...everyone else has theirs.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-12-2013 at 05:22 AM.

User Info Menu

He just flailed his arms around hoping to hit a drum.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarch View Post
    He just flailed his arms around hoping to hit a drum.
    Well in that case I wish I could hit drums as well as he did, just by hoping!

There's another thread on here about whether posters are businesslike or a showman. I think it's obvious which one KM was more of, but apparently that's not good enough for some. Maybe he should have stuck to sitting still, playing with as little exuberance as possible (like Ringo) but still hitting the right drums just by "hoping".
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post

Funny Peart cites Moon as one of his influences.

User Info Menu

Keith Moon. What I love about his playing is simply this, he took it to a new place. He taught me very early on that there are no rules, you don't have to sit back and just keep time and wait for your moment to do a fill. He did fills where and whenever he felt, he brought the drummer from behind the band to the front.

Yes, his live performances were a bit spastic and sloppy at times , but his studio work was excellent. Listen to the Tommy album, his best work in my opinion , followed by Who's Next and Quadrophenia.

Keith Moon was a most definitely a great drummer, many don't like his style because he's not your typical drummer. He doesn't follow and type of theory or structure and that is what made him great. The skill is clearly there, if you can't hear it you may want to try and understand that drumming is a form of expression , not just notes on a page that are meant to be played a certain way or order.

I thank Keith Moon for his drumming ability and the gift he gave me to have a open mind when approaching drumming. There are only a handful of musicians that made the choice to turn things upside down when playing their instrument. Moon was one of them.

Have a listen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_pPf7OqiE

User Info Menu

Came across this one the other day. Never seen it before.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Came across this one the other day. Never seen it before.

I only watched the first 2:30 but that was the worst drum solo of all time. But I never was impressed with his live playing. For me as I said above, his studio work and original approach is what I appreciated and enjoyed.

User Info Menu

I was driving in my truck the other day, and it finally hit me, what it was about Keith's playing that bothered me. He over plays everything. I was never a huge Who fan, but did like bits and pieces of their work.

The band I was in last year played Squeeze box. I found that he had all these tom rolls mixed about, in random places throughout the song, that to me did not belong there. Maybe this is what so many liked about his playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Keith Moon. What I love about his playing is simply this, he took it to a new place. He taught me very early on that there are no rules, you don't have to sit back and just keep time and wait for your moment to do a fill. He did fills where and whenever he felt, he brought the drummer from behind the band to the front.

Yes, his live performances were a bit spastic and sloppy at times , but his studio work was excellent. Listen to the Tommy album, his best work in my opinion , followed by Who's Next and Quadrophenia.

Keith Moon was a most definitely a great drummer, many don't like his style because he's not your typical drummer. He doesn't follow and type of theory or structure and that is what made him great. The skill is clearly there, if you can't hear it you may want to try and understand that drumming is a form of expression , not just notes on a page that are meant to be played a certain way or order.

I thank Keith Moon for his drumming ability and the gift he gave me to have a open mind when approaching drumming. There are only a handful of musicians that made the choice to turn things upside down when playing their instrument. Moon was one of them.

Have a listen.

Thank you for this post NPYYZ. I really like your analogy and the song you've posted as a fantastic example.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-24-2018 at 09:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post

Have a listen.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Well expressed and good debate on Keith.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

is it just me, or does Keith Moon look like a possessed Gilligan?

User Info Menu

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

^^Thanks for the post.....very intresting track.

User Info Menu

I love those isolated tracks! Lets you hear those little nuances..Thanks for posting slinky!

User Info Menu

I try to play like Keith Moon sometimes and I can't.