Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24x18 Tour Custom refinish

User Info Menu

Default 24x18 Tour Custom refinish

I got the refinishing bug so here it goes.. I bought the drum used in San Francisco from Sam Adatos around 97 and have used it a lot. It has also been used a lot before me and by the looks abused. By whom and for what will forever be a mystery but being it ended up in San Francisco there's no telling what it has been through. I am trying to compile progress to keep the thread short and sweet. So on with the shoe....

Specimen: 24x18 Yamaha Tour Custom bass drum

Hardware stripped. A total of four different types of tension rods have been holding the heads on. This will be addressed. i bought new spurs for the drum a couple of years ago. It's solid as a rock when it action.

Shell abuse. The whole drum is like this on the outside. The inside is a different story and it's not good.
    Last edited by slinky; 02-26-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: 24x18 Tour Custom refinish

Good luck slinky. Can't wait to see the results.

User Info Menu

Thank you Rich. I'm hoping for the best. Never have done one before but it's very romantic lol. Just remember everybody the guy doing this is sometimes all thumbs
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Thank you Rich. I'm hoping for the best. Never have done one before but it's very romantic lol. Just remember everybody the guy doing this is sometimes all thumbs
    Just my opinion but it's a great way to have some time "on" the drums without really being behind the kit. I never had a chance to finish my re-wrap project due to time and money so I left the shells bare and finished the project with just some layers of clear coat.

User Info Menu

What kind of finish are you doing?

User Info Menu

I couldn't tell if that was a wrap or just a stained and varnished finish. How are you planning to refinish it?

As for being all thumbs? Take your time and do it up right. What's the rush?

I can't hardly wait to see the results!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

When I said the inside isn't good I meant it. Seems as though someone had the bright idea to paint the inside black!. It makes me wonder what war stories this drum could tell if it could talk. GWAR comes to mind or something not so similar.

Inside of shell will be stripped of this paint and finely sanded.

Exterior sanded with fine grit. Looks like crap but all the scratches and scuffs vanished rather easily. No turning back now.

Badge removed and sanded portion around vent. It's not as uneven as it seems. I feathered the sanding as good as I think possible. A new grommet will be put into place since the original was the stamped in type and was destroyed getting it out.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Just my opinion but it's a great way to have some time "on" the drums without really being behind the kit. I never had a chance to finish my re-wrap project due to time and money so I left the shells bare and finished the project with just some layers of clear coat.
    I feel the same. Seemed like the time was right during our band break

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    What kind of finish are you doing?
    Hey PPG, believe it or not it is a stain, varnish

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I couldn't tell if that was a wrap or just a stained and varnished finish. How are you planning to refinish it?

As for being all thumbs? Take your time and do it up right. What's the rush?

I can't hardly wait to see the results!
    Thank you Mark. As you can see it's not a wrap. I didn't believe it until I started to get deeper into it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

That's it for now. the inside will be worked on next along with the after market steel hoops which were (you guessed it painted black!). I'd love to put some wood hoops back on it. If I can find some wood 24 hoops in the right color I just might get them but it seems the steel will be put back on at this time.

I can't help but think the paint on the inside and the after market steel hoops have significantly changed the sound of the drum. This is a cost effective restoration which basically means I aint got the cash to make her close to original, but I will do my best with what I have to work with.

to be continued.....
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

woods hoops would be awesome.

Best of luck with the refinish. Make sure to keep us updated of course !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    woods hoops would be awesome.

Best of luck with the refinish. Make sure to keep us updated of course !
    Yes Sir Spaz! will do. Can't wait to get to the next phase. Next up will be some stripper and parts ordering.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thanks for the pics....looking good there slinky!!

User Info Menu

Do you plan on finishing the shells in black again, or are you doing something different?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Next up will be some stripper and parts ordering.
    My favorite parts!

I've always wanted to do this.................I have a few old drums laying around, might practice on them first.

Good luck

User Info Menu

If you are going back the same color stain, don't strip the shell. Sand it down to the stain and re-stain then re-clear. You will get much better results. Good luck.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I just refinished my DW and getting professional results from the lacquer was really hard. It took several attempts and I learned a lot in the process. It was frustrating to say the least and a couple of times I nearly scrapped the idea and wrapped the shells instead. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I just refinished my DW and getting professional results from the lacquer was really hard. It took several attempts and I learned a lot in the process. It was frustrating to say the least and a couple of times I nearly scrapped the idea and wrapped the shells instead. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Exactly why I am opting to wrap a couple of snares and a three piece kit. Guaranteed results.
    Looking forward to an update on this project. Strong hint.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

thanks everybody for the interest, tips etc... It's going to be a couple weeks before I can get back to it but I will get back to it. Been pricing parts the last few days. There's some cool parts stores out there. This is going to be a wrap btw. I hope it won't change the sound of the drum too much because these drums sound monsterous all stock. I really want wood hoops to go back on.
    Last edited by slinky; 01-25-2015 at 09:55 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Hello everybody I have an update on the progress of the drum so here it is. The stripping of the paint on the inside of the shell started yesterday. It was one big gooey, ugly mess.

why would someone paint the inside of a shell?

two coats of stripper were used at different intervals

at this point my feeling about the project was "not good"
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I would have maybe tried sanding the paint off... but just need to be careful about the wood. What a pain in the arse... some people do stupid things. . .

User Info Menu

Today the sanding started. I am sanding by hand, no machines. Began with a 80 moderate grit to start. I spent a bit of time deciding on the grit to use but went with the 80 and it worked well.

it looks pretty from this distance

but up close you can see the imperfections. It must've been used as a carry all. Seems like it anyway.

through the tom holder hole
    Last edited by slinky; 02-03-2015 at 01:07 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Looking good so far.

How the fingers holding up?
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I would have maybe tried sanding the paint off... but just need to be careful about the wood. What a pain in the arse... some people do stupid things. . .
    hey spaz, it would've taken forever to try and sand it all. The stripper saved many hours of work also I was afraid of over sanding. Still am a little bit but it's pretty much done now. I'm going to start work on the edges and then give it a final sanding with a fine 220 grit.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Looking good so far.

How the fingers holding up?
    hey pops, thank you the fingers are good, my arm is feeling it a little though. Using a nice curved sanding block too so that is helping a lot.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Wow, talk about night and day on the inside of that shell! Good job!!!