Thread: Def Leppard style...

User Info Menu

Default Def Leppard style...

Well, you can see by my screen name that it's been a few years since I've been here or in drumming at all. I really feel the desire to get back in and I'm poised to pull the trigger on a mid priced kit. Still deciding...

Roland TD 11KS
    Yamaha DTX522K

However this thread isn't about equipment.

My desire (don't groan too loud, ha ha) is to get an 80's hairband style band together. Def Leppard, Journey, etc. I realize there is a plethora of them out there and frankly even if we don't play out, I really don't care too much. Just want to have fun with it.

A ton of things have changed I guess in the world of E drums. EZ drummer? Laptops? That's cool that you can really pick the exact sound you want if you want to go down that road.

What I've heard you can do - and why I haven't thought of this before - is that I can take Audacity, find a DL song where I can isolate and capture the snare drum and then load that onto my drum module. So basically I could have the EXACT same snare sound as DL, right?

The challenge now is to find the snare sound....I'll probably start with Hysteria or Love Bites thinking that it might be able to find the sole snare sound in a slow song.

At any rate, any thoughts would be great....mainly just saying "hello" as it's been a few years!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Def Leppard style...

Congrats on coming back! Looks like we like the same music styles. I just started listening to journey again after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Hey there Mike! Yeah when I was seeing some other Def Leppard threads I saw you all over them. I love it! Are you in a band?

User Info Menu

Welcome back to the forums and drums.

I'm not an e kit kind of guy so I'm not help here. But good luck!

User Info Menu

Well, surprise surprise, I ended up getting the Roland. To be honest I was going to get the Yamaha but the place I was going to purchase it from wanted to do a credit check even for the three payment option and the other one didn't. So I went with the Roland. Maybe it was serendipitous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Congrats on coming back! Looks like we like the same music styles. I just started listening to journey again after a while.
    Hey Mike I was trying to send you a PM but I don't have enough posts to do that yet. If you PM me will I be able to write back?

User Info Menu

i liked the snare sounds off Pyromania too. Pour Some Sugar On Me probably has a few places to get a good sample.

We were at a hockey game last night and a DL song came on over the PA man his snare is so tinty.... it sounds pretty cool though. Don't think too many bands could've pulled that off like they did.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
    Hey Mike I was trying to send you a PM but I don't have enough posts to do that yet. If you PM me will I be able to write back?
    Oh man sorry I didn’t see this earlier! I don’t play in a band but I would. There’s just nobody I know, and time is an issue. I’ve been playing the drums since I was 12. I’ll never stop. I’ll try sending you a pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The '80's snare sound:

Gated "pink noise" on top with reverb @ 1:41. Click the URL and it will cut to the chase.

https://youtu.be/yYZrjOJoisE?t=99